Gary R. Dettloff, J.D., Director
Areas of Practice:
* Estate Planning
* Business Organization
* Strategic Planning and Consultation
* Governmental Relations
Gary R. Dettloff is the Managing Director of the Center for Tax & Strategic Planning, LLC, and Of Counsel, Waterford Law Group, LLC. He has extensive experience representing clients engaged in business, manufacturing and the entertainment industry, including a number of well-known artists, industrialists and charitable organizations. Gary has hosted his own radio talk show (“Law Review”) and appeared or consulted on a number of national and local broadcasts (such as “Dollars and Common Sense”, ABC’s “This Week” and CBS’ “60 Minutes”) concerning tax and IRS-related issues. He has been referenced with approval in the Congressional Record, and consulted with the U. S. Senate Conference Committee in the drafting of The Taxpayers’ Bill of Rights I, and The Taxpayers’ Bill of Rights II.
Mr. Dettloff began his legal career with the United States Treasury Department, where he served for seven years in various positions. His government work was recognized with five grades of promotion in addition to a Superior Performance Award, a Special Achievement award and a Federal Executive Award within that time. As an Estate and Gift Attorney, he was part of the transitional team that implemented the initial audit plans for the current Unified Credit system. In the Director’s Office, Gary helped devise and then designed and implemented the nation’s first systematic effort to solve taxpayer problems from within the IRS. Today, the District test program set up using Mr. Dettloff’s guidelines (first published by the IRS as Problem Resolution Procedures) operates nationwide as the Taxpayer Advocate’s Office.
Gary’s passions include his many guitars, several signed first editions, his 1959 Corvette and the love of his life, the former Cheryl Rose. Cheryl and Gary have been married for some 3 decades, now. They have raised two children, and are blessed to be part a family of four living generations of men, women, boys and girls who know and love Jesus Christ. As a reflection of that blessing, Gary enjoys serving his church and community daily. His work offers one more avenue for that service, where he dedicates his efforts on behalf of his clients to obtain one goal: The Lowest Legitimate Tax.
Education, Experience, Certificates and Memberships:
* Juris Doctor – Michigan State University School of Law, (Honors 1976 – 77).
* BA English and Spanish Lit. (with Distinction) – The University of Michigan
* Certificate – Probate / Estate Planning – Institute for Continuing Legal Education
* Professor – Business Law, Tax, Management, Accounting – Univ. of Phoenix
* Litigation – U.S. District Court
* Appeals – U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, U.S. Tax Court
* Founder and Director: Center for Tax & Strategic Planning
* Authorized to practice before the IRS nationally and internationally under Circular 230. State Bar: Michigan, Pennsylvania.
* Of Counsel, Waterford Law Group, LLC
Interests and Involvement:
* Board member and Legal Director – CityLight Ministries
* Past Chair – Justice Fellowship State Task Force
* Past Director – Wayne County Government Bar Association
* Current and past Board and Committee positions: Emmanuel International Missions, FOCUS, State Committee, 14th Congressional District Executive Committee, Warren Schools Commission on Educational Excellence, Advisory Board, Woodside Vision Foundation, Church offices: Deacon, Elder
* Electoral College
* Gospel Music Association
* Better Business Bureau
* Corporate Restoration Inc.
* Endless Analog, Inc.
* E-Connect, Inc.
* In Step, PLC
* Salvatore Scaloppini’s Restaurants
* Medical Wellness Centers
* CityLight Ministries
* Collision on Wheels, Inc.
* PMI, Inc.
* Precision Steel, Inc.,
* Risk Management Corporation
* Trion Solutions
* Awakened Heart Ministries
* RB Productions